Saturday, May 21, 2011

To Make Stronger


About 11 years ago, I experienced a very significant sacrament at the end of my elementary education – Confirmation. However, I remember not understanding the significance at the time. There I was shaking hands with Archbishop Justin Regali (now Cardinal Regali) and receiving congratulations from my family, but I didn’t quite get it.

I am sure St. Ferdinand School did a fine job in preparing me to receive the sacrament with stories of Pentecost and lessons on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. They also encouraged me to choose a Saint’s name as my own and design a poster about why I chose that particular person. My pick was St. Francis of Assisi for the sole reason that he was the patron saint of animals. Confirmation is a major step for an individual to choose to fully enter into the Church. For me, it was what every eighth student did – it wasn’t much of a cognoscente choice.

When fledgling JVIs first touch down in their respective placements, they are bombarded with opportunities and requests to get involved with a multitude of different responsibilities. In my service, one of those responsibilities took the form of Confirmation instructor for the Our Lady of Mercy International Community. Luckily, there were two volunteers who would be there with me – Luke Lavin and Tim Smit. We meet once a week to plan our ten-week class (although we coined it “journey”).

In the planning process, I realized how much I had forgotten from my education in my eighth grade year. Essentially, had to relearn the Catholic Church before I could attempt to present it to the confirmandi. In the Federated States of Micronesia, there is an age requirement of 18 years old for the Sacrament of Confirmation. I wish it was the same in the States.

Surprisingly, this opportunity to get in touch with my faith brought out the emotion of fear. This fear stemmed from the inkling that I might no longer adhere to the dogma and the compendium of the Church like I once did. The concept of transubstantiation (water and bread literally transformed into blood and body) was enough to make my head spin. Understanding and accepting the miracles that Jesus Christ performed was a major speed bump. I was worried that these classes would isolate rather than draw me nearer to God.

In the midst of preparation, lectures and the Saturday classes, I was comforted by the very scholastic approach we were taking with our 14 students. This approach solidified not only the “choice” I made 11 years ago, but my ministry in Pohnpei as a whole.

The translations of sacrament names into Pohnpeian have shed light on their deeper meaning. One word that I have heard more than any other is “keleil.” In a single day, one might here “Iaromw?” (How are you) “Keleil” (Strong) more than one hundred times. Adding the simple prefix “ka” onto the word gives it action – to make. So the translation for Confirmation is “kakeliel” = to make stronger. While my physical health as wavered during my service, my spiritual life has been made stronger.

Although I was instructing this group of Yapese, Chuukese, Kosraen, Pohnpeian and American students, I felt like I was sitting right next to them relearning my faith. It was the powerful gift I have received in my time in the Pacific.

Due to the transient nature of Jesuit Volunteers, Luke and Tim left the island leaving me in charge of this year’s program. With the help of my community mate, Rachael, and an aspiring Jesuit, Dickson, we led a new group of hopefuls through ten weeks of instruction. Our students impressed us by sharing their vulnerabilities, confusion and questions with trusting hearts. In addition to their openness, they provided some of the funniest moments that are forever engraved in my memory. Here are a few:

  • On a service trip to Pohnpei State Prison, Jorelik was poised and ready for an attack the entire time even after me assuring him that we were perfectly safe.
  • Having a student named after a felony offense – Arson.
  • Jeremiah being terrified anytime Father Jim Gould would pelt him with questions about Church.
  • Trust falls involving large Yapese men well over 200 pounds.
  • Tarsis’ brutal honesty about morality scenarios.
  • Requests that “Kobe” and “Lebron” be allowed as saint names.
This year, the program ended with a two day retreat at the Pohnpei Agricultural Trade School (PATS) in the beautiful municipality of Madolenihmw. Confirmandi and teachers agreed that it was one of those retreats you wished could just be the reality of normal life.

The retreat ended with a very intimate Mass celebration. As outer- island Yapese hymns filled the wood-paneled Church, I looked on with pride at a group of young adults ready to make their choice.

One student, Christian, surprised us with a heart-felt speech before the final blessing. He thanked his fellow classmates and family for their support throughout the process and then turned to his teachers – Dickson, Rachael and myself. With very simple words, “Thank you for being our heroes,” Christian made me realize what a powerful responsibility and duty it is to help other people develop a relationship with God. When my feet touch American soil in a few short weeks, I will be holding on to
that realization with all of my strength.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Nansou, brought me back in many ways as well! -luke t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fibrozym - Good post. Thanks for the experience to share with us. I am going to save the URL, and will certainly visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

    ReplyDelete